Lir's ugly daughter.....or Swan lake only Green-

Knitting, Spinning and family dementia

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Sock dye

Today, I spent the afternoon at Elsa's house dyeing Sock blanks from
I've only dyed yarn a few times with marginal success. So, today was a real joy.
They turned out fabulous. We used Wilton cake icing colorings and Easter egg dyes in water/vineger put in squeeze bottles.
First, we lay out plastic wrap the length + an inch or so.. the size of the blank. Soaked the blanks in water for a time and squeezed them out before laying out to dye. We did all kinds of bazaar designs. I was rather sparing with the dye and tried not to waste it. Then we rolled up the plastic wrap the short way so, not to obscure our designs. Then the long a jelly roll. Instead of steaming, like the knitpicks video, we Microwaved each packet for 2min and then let them cool. Gently, placed them in a sink 1/4 full of water to rinse. Almost no dye came out. Except the yellow which was easter egg tablet dye. BUT, the yellow did not rinse out totally. I squeezed the water out and when I got home layed them out on a sweater drying rack. Where they are drying now.
No pictures yet. But, heres the video with Acid dyes. Just substitute Microwaving for all that And, Food colorings instead of the Acid dyes. Good luck!!

1 comment:

Jyll said...

I can't wait to see the pics!